After this recipe, I only have one left in my chicken recipe book, which will make it the second recipe book I have finished!
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup long-grained rice
- 2 lemons (we used 2 tablespoons lemon juice instead)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 24 pitted Spanish green or Kalamata olives (omitted)
- 4 small ripe tomatoes (we used 2)
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey (we used chicken)
- 6 cups torn, rinsed red-leaf lettuce (we used green lettuce and though we didn’t measure it, it was less than 6 cups)
1. Combine water, rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium pot. Bring to boil, cover and let simmer over low heat until rice is tender, 16 to 18 min.
2. While rice is cooking, grate zest and 1 lemon. Juice both lemons. Combine with oil, oregano and olives. (We used lemon juice and combined it with olive oil and oregano.)
3. Core and dice tomatoes. Combine chicken and tomatoes in a salad bowl. Add half the lemon dressing and season with salt and pepper. Toss to mix.
4. Drain rice and toss with remaining dressing. Spread on a baking sheet to cool (we didn’t do this, because I don’t really see the need). After 5 min, stir into chicken. Serve over lettuce.
Verdict: I did not enjoy this recipe, because I didn’t enjoy the lemon taste of the dressing. It was a little too much for me.