This is my last recipe from my chicken recipe book!
Well, okay, that’s not quite true. There are some recipes I will be trying again down the line with a couple of slight changes to see if I like them better. And I will probably give a quick look over the book to see if any other recipes grab my interest that didn’t the first time around, but for now I am done with the book.
This recipe was originally called Red Chicken Chowder, but it wasn’t thick as I think a chowder should be. I don’t agree that just because it has corn that it is a chowder. It tasted more like a tomato soup, so I am changing the title.
- 2 cloves garlic (we used garlic powder to taste)
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes and their juices (the can was 796 ml and we used the whole thing)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (we used chicken)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup long-grained rice
- 1 to 1 1/4 pound of chicken, cooked
- 1 cup fresh parsley or basil leaves (didn’t use)
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen corn (we used corn from a can)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (optional – we didn’t use)
1. In a large pot, add garlic, tomatoes and their juices, chicken broth and water. Cover and bring to boil. Once boiled, let cool and mash tomatoes (we used an immersion blender) against the side of the pot.
2. Bring liquid back to boil. Add the rice, cover and simmer about 15 min, until rice is almost completely soft. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into small pieces. Finely chop parsley.
3. Add chicken and corn. Continue to simmer, 3 to 5 min. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in parsley (we didn’t). Garnish each portion with 2 tablespoons sour cream/yogurt (we didn’t).
Verdict: As a chowder, I don’t think this works because, as I said above, chowders are supposed to be thicken – at least that’s how I feel about them. But as a tomato soup, this really works. It was delicious! Next time, I will probably use noodles instead of rice and less chicken. Or maybe no chicken. And maybe I will add carrots and tomatoes for a nice veggie tomato soup.