This is another recipe that I found in the French Metro Newspaper. And kind of a rarity for me, in that it’s a meal that is completely meat free! As the French newspaper prints recipes that are submitted by readers, not all of them are written the same way. This one is a little short on precise measurements.
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini (we used 3)
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Basil, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic (we used garlic powder to taste)
- Oregano, to taste
- 4 large tortillas (we made 5 and probably had enough veggies left for a sixth)
- Cheddar cheese, to taste (we used quite a bit!)
- Sour cream and salsa for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Cut vegetables into strips or quarters.
3. Daub the bottom of an oven plate with olive oil. Place pieces of eggplant, zucchini, onion and tomatoes on bottom of plate. Sprinkle with basil, pepper, oregano and garlic (if you are using powdered garlic. If not, add the garlic pieces in with the veggies). Bake for an hour, until veggies are tender (our oven cooks faster, so we needed less time.)
4. Top a part of each tortilla with veggies then top with cheese. Fold each tortilla in two.
5. Heat oil or butter in a frying pan. Fry each tortilla 5 min on each side on low heat, until cheese is melted.
6. Cut each tortilla into quarters or halves and serve with sour cream and salsa.
Verdict: This was delicious. And with some rice on the side, quite filling!