This is another recipe from the French Metro newspaper. Although I should probably think of a new title, because with the changes we made to the ingredients/spices, it probably isn’t very Mexican anymore.
- 5 potatoes
- 2 lbs of beef (we used closer to 1 lbs)
- 4 Merguez sausages (as I have heard these are lamb based, we used mild Italian sausage, but only 2)
- 2 onions, chopped (we used 1)
- 2 cups of frozen vegetables, thawed (we used 1 small can of mixed vegetables)
- 2 cans of corn (we used 1)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder (omitted)
- 1 cup Heinz chilli sauce (we used plain tomato sauce)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons fine herbs (we used parsley)
- Mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Boil the potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, brown the meat. Add the onions and chopped sausages.
3. Add the vegetables and corn to the cooked meat.
4. Mix in the paprika, chilli powder (if using), chilli sauce (or tomato sauce), salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. Mash potatoes. Add butter, cream, Parmesan cheese and herbs.
6. In an oven dish, spread out meat mixture. Cover with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Bake in oven for 10-15 min (we finished it off under the broiler for a couple more min to brown the cheese a little more).
Verdict: While not exactly what the recipe intended, we enjoyed it. I probably wouldn’t use any sausage next time, because I don’t think it added anything.