I am not sure where I found this recipe. Also, I am pretty sure that I made changes from its original form but I don’t remember what the exact changes really were.
- 8 ounces of jumbo shells
- 1 pound of chicken (we used 2 chicken breasts. We broke it up while it was cooking and then cooled it and put it in a food processor to grind it)
- 5 slices turkey bacon (we used pork bacon), cooked and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced (we used garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 26 ounce jar of tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (The original recipe had spinach as well, though I don’t know how much)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Cook noodles according to package. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
2. As noodles are cooking, cook the chicken in olive oil. Add bacon (we cooked the bacon separately then added it to the chicken after we ground the chicken up). Add onion and garlic.
3. (At this point, the meat is supposed to be removed from the heat and the spinach, if using, is to be added and stirred around until it is wilted.)
4. Add Italian seasoning and mix well. Cool 10 min.
5. In a 9×13 oven dish, pour 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce and spread over the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese.
6. Fill shells with meat mixture and place into oven dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover with remaining tomato sauce.
7. Cover dish with foil and bake 20 min.
Verdict: Good, but the filling felt like it was missing something to bind it all together. This is the kind of recipe where I should have been more careful with the changes I was making to the original, because what I copied was confusing, and taken note of where I found it so I could go back to the original.