I know I found this recipe online somewhere. Looking for it now, I see it on a bunch of different sites, but none look like the one where I originally found it.
Originally this is supposed to have a cinnamon butter sauce with it, but I just made the scones.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (omitted because we use salted butter)
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar (we may have used more or less, as this is for sprinkling and we didn’t measure as we sprinkled)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt (if using). Cut in butter until coarse and grainy. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients and mix until dough just comes together.
4. (We did ours differently from the two wedges the recipe suggested. We transferred our dough to a floured surface, rolled it out and used a square cookie cutter to cut out square scones.) Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake 2o to 25 min, until firm in the center when lightly touched.
Verdict: Everyone enjoyed them. They were good. But maybe not the best scones I have had.