I found this recipe in Inspire, a free food magazine handed out at my grocery store.
- 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 12 slices of eggplant, about 1/4 inch thick
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 sub-style buns
- 3 tablespoons Herbed tomato sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (depending on how much you like!)
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, basil, Parmesan cheese and salt. Whisk egg in another shallow bowl. Dip eggplant slices in the egg and then coat with breadcrumb mixture.
3. Place slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake 15 min. (We turned once about halfway through.)
4. Divide eggplant evenly between 4 buns. Spoon on sauce. Top with cheese. Broil for 2 min until bun is toasted and cheese is bubbly.
(I wish I had remembered to snap a picture!)
Verdict: Eggplant is one of those foods I am appreciating more as I grow up! These sandwiches were very good. For my taste, they needed more sauce, but still good!