I love lasagna, just not always all of the ingredients in more traditional versions. So I tend to change a lot of the recipes or look for more alternative lasagna recipes. I found this recipe on the back of a lasagna noodle box (Primo brand) and made some changes to it.
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (we used garlic powder to taste)
- 1 689ml can of tomato sauce
- 1 156ml can of tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (I think the original recipe had cottage or ricotta cheese, both of which I don’t like)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Brown the meat, onion and garlic. Drain the fat. Transfer meat to a pot and add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer. Season to taste.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions on the package.
3. Mix together cheddar cheese and the eggs.
4. Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce in a 13×9 inch pan. Top with 4 noodles, overlapping edges slightly.
5. Top with 1/3 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the cheddar cheese mixture and 1/2 of the mozzarella. Repeat layers (noodles, sauce, cheddar cheese and mozzarella).
6. Top with the last 4 noodles, last meat sauce and Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 min.
Verdict: This was really good. It had everything it needed to be a great lasagna for me: meat sauce and lots of cheese.