I got this recipe from the French Metro newspaper. It was originally a cake recipe, but we made cupcakes out of it instead.
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omitted because we use salted butter)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup milk
1. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, yeast and salt (if using).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla.
3. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk.
4. (In cake form, the batter is supposed to be enough to fill 2 round 9-inch moulds, which would then bake for 30 to 35 min. We made 26 cupcakes, which needed about 15 min baking time.)
Verdict: I am not sure if it was because we made them into cupcakes, but this wasn’t the best recipe. I didn’t find that they tasted sweet enough and, also, they certainly didn’t taste chocolate enough for a chocolate cake and/or cupcakes.