I found this recipe in the French Metro newspaper.
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (we just used 1 cup of all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (omitted because we use salted butter)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, butter, brown sugar, almond extract and the egg.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt (if using) and cinnamon. Mix into the wet ingredients. Add the chocolate chips and almonds.
4. Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheets and bake 10 to 13 min (we made ours on the smaller side, so they only needed 9 min to bake).
Verdict: We made 50 cookies, which didn’t expand very much while baking. It’s weird that, considering what’s in them, the only real taste comes from the chocolate.