I found this recipe online somewhere and though I can’t seem to find the original website, I have since found it on a Rachel Ray site.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped thyme to taste
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (we used 3)
- 3/4 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. Pour 1/3 cup of the cream into bottom of the dish. Place a layer of overlapping potato slices on top. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Add a layer of apples and sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Repeat the layers two more times.
3. Press down with fingers to spread the cream. Cover baking dish loosely and bake 90 min, until potatoes are tender.
Verdict: My mom and my sister liked this dish, but I wasn’t a fan. I couldn’t really taste the apples, which was disappointing because I was hoping the apples would give the dish a unique flavour.