I got this recipe from the 24 newspaper.
- 225g beef cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes (the original recipe said lard, but I won’t cook with that)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 can Guinness
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 garlic clove (we used garlic powder to taste)
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries (we didn’t use)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (we added potatoes and carrots, because it’s not a beef stew with them!)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Brown beef in the butter and oil.
2. Add flour and stir the beef. Add Guinness, mustard, garlic, juniper berries (if using), thyme, bay leaf and salt and pepper (and vegetables, if adding).
3. Cover and bake at 300F for 2 hours. (We let ours cook almost 4.) Add brown sugar and bake 3-4 more min.
Verdict: Of the three beef stew recipes I tried recently, this was my least favourite. My sister thought it had a syrup-y taste. but I agree with my mom that it was a little bitter.