I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 16 ounces of cheese filled tortellini
- 3 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots (we just used more onion)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups half-and-half (10% cream)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks (we used 1 whole egg)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sage (we didn’t have any left to use)
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 ounces prosciutto
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and shallots until tender. Stir in cream and milk. Bring to boil. Remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl beat egg(s). Slowly add one cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg(s), beating until combined. Mix everything back into the saucepan.
4. Return the saucepan to medium-low heat and cook for 10 min, until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan and sage. Pepper to taste.
5. Transfer half of the tortellini to a large baking dish. Sprinkle with all of the Gruyere cheese. Pour half the sauce on top. Top with remaining pasta, the walnuts, prosciutto and remaining sauce.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 20 min.
Verdict: This was an interesting dish. There were a lot of flavours that I liked. The walnuts added a different texture and taste to most other pasta dishes I have had. But I wasn’t a big fan of the way the sauce kind of ended up clumped together after being baked.