I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 3 cups strawberries (cut the larger ones into halves or quarters)
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white wine (we had neither and used a balsamic vinaigrette)
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 ounces Parmesan or cheddar cheese (we used cheddar, because all we have is the grated Parmesan cheese)
- 6 large fresh basil leaves (we could not find at our grocery store, so we used dried basil to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minces
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a baking dish, combine strawberries, vinegar and jam. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Cut a horizontal pocket into the side of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Cut cheddar into 6 cubes and place one cube with one basil leaf (or a sprinkle of basil) into each pocket. Close with toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook garlic and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on each side. Transfer to oven (in either the skillet, if it’s oven proof, or in an oven safe baking dish). Bake, uncovered, 5 min.
5. Add the strawberry baking dish to the oven and continue cooking both for 10 to 13 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the berries are soft and the sauce has thickened.
6. Serve chicken with melted strawberries (and we made rice as well).
Verdict: This was a recipe that was so different than anything I had previously tried, that I really wanted it to taste good. And it did! The sweetness of the strawberry sauce was nice with the chicken and the rice, but it wasn’t too sweet as to completely kill the taste of the meal. Yum!