I found this recipe on the Phantom Gourmet website. It was kind of a mess, with spelling mistakes and missing instructions, so we basically just kind of made it up as we went along.
- 3 lbs of potatoes (we didn’t measure; we used 6 large potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs (we used 2)
- Parmesan cheese (the recipe didn’t give a measurement, so we decided to use about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 cups bacon, cut into pieces (we used about 6 strips of bacon)
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Boil potatoes. Drain and return to pot.
2. Mash potatoes with butter and milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Beat the eggs with the Parmesan cheese.
4. Spread the breadcrumbs on the bottom of an oven dish. Cover with half of the mashed potatoes. Pour half the egg mixture on top, then sprinkle with half the mozzarella and bacon. Repeat layers a second time.
5. Bake, covered, at 350F for 30 min.
Verdict: Although I love potatoes, I have always been weird in that I dislike baked potatoes (whole with the skin; baked fries are amazing) and mashed potatoes. I keep holding out hope that I will find a recipe that changes my mind on either and both. I did like this recipe, with the cheese and bacon flavour. Weirdly enough, I didn’t taste the breadcrumbs at all.