I found this recipe in a WeightWatcher’s magazine, though I didn’t follow it very faithfully.
- 2 egg whites (we used two eggs, separated)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons egg substitute (because we used 2 eggs, we didn’t use this)
- 2 tablespoons amaretto (didn’t use)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices bread
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Combine milk, brown sugar, egg substitute (if using), amaretto (if using) and cinnamon. Beat until sugar dissolves. Fold in 1/3 egg whites. Fold in remaining egg whites.
4. Dip bread in egg mixture. Spray a jelly roll or baking sheet with cooking spray and place bread on it. Bake 7 min. Turn and bake 4 more (ours needed a little longer).
Verdict: I am not sure if it was because of the substitutions, but this was a rather dry French toast. I think that also contributed to the overall tastelessness of the dish.