I found this recipe in the French Metro newspaper.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons 35% cream (we added more, as explained below)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omitted because we use salted butter)
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
1. In a big bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, egg, 35% cream, vanilla and almond extract (the batter ends up being quite dry when the flour is added, so it is much easier with an electric beater).
2. Add flour, baking powder and salt (if using) and beat until smooth.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400F.
4. Lightly flour workspace and roll out dough to .5 cm thickness (our dough was not coming together at this point so we added more cream which seemed to work).
5. Cut dough into shapes and place on baking sheet.
6. Sprinkle with icing sugar. Bake 4 to 6 min (ours were probably a little thicker than they should have been so they needed closer to 10 min) until golden around the edges.
Verdict: We made 12, though we could have made more, but didn’t continue on because these cookies had no taste.