I found this recipe on another food blog.
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes
- Olive or canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 head to 2 cloves of garlic, as per your tastes (we used 4 cloves, because we love garlic)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (we used chicken)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup milk, half-and-half or heavy cream (we used cream)
- Basil or pesto (as this was optional, we didn’t use)
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Cut tomatoes into smaller chunks and place them on a large rimmed baking sheet. Add the garlic cloves. Drizzle with oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 1 hour. Set aside to cool a little.
3. Transfer tomatoes, garlic and juices from pan into a pot and blend using an immersion blender. Add chicken stock and sugar. Simmer for about 10 min. Add cream just before serving.
Verdict: This was good, but wasn’t as creamy as I was hoping it would be. I think there’s a better homemade tomato soup recipe to be found.