I found this in an old magazine called Homemaker School, published in 1998.
- 1 1/2 cup frozen mix of broccoli, onion and mushrooms (they didn’t have that particular mix at the store, so we got broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Rinse veggies under warm water to thaw. Pat dry.
2. In a medium bowl, combine veggies, all the cheese, Italian seasoning and pepper.
3. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll out each piece into a 6 inch circle. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into the centre of each. Moisten edges with water and fold over. Pinch to seal. Cut several slits in the top of each piece. Brush with egg.
4. Bake at 425F for 12-14 min or until golden brown.
Verdict: I tried this recipe because I was hoping I would get a new appreciation of ricotta cheese, which is another one of those foods I have never been fond of. I dislike its texture. That didn’t change after this dish. The calzones themselves were also pretty bland tasting.