I am not sure where I originally found this recipe. I think it might have been from a newspaper.
- 1 pie crust
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of butter
- 30g of semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee or espresso powder (we used the instant coffee)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Prepare the pie crust as per directions and place in a pie plate. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
2. Put the baking sheet in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350F.
3. In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter and semi-sweet chocolate. Remove from heat and mix in the cocoa powder and coffee. Set aside.
4. In a bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar. Add sour cream, corn syrup and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture.
5. Pour the filling into the pie shell. Bake for 35 – 40 min until filling puffs up and a crust has formed. Remove pie and let cool; it may sink and crack slightly.
Verdict: This was a good but not great pie. I was hoping for a richer chocolate taste and thought that the coffee taste was a little over-powering.