I found this recipe on Yahoo, but the link I had doesn’t seem to be working anymore.
- 6 potatoes
- Peanut oil (we used regular vegetable oil)
- Sea salt (we used table salt)
1. Peel potatoes and square off ends. Cut into batons. Soak in water for two hours, changing water half way. Dry thoroughly with paper towels.
2. Heat about an inch of oil (or enough to cover potatoes) in a large skillet to 290 degrees (we don’t have a thermometer to time this, so we just kind of winged it). Fry for 2 min. Place on a paper-towel lines baking sheet and refrigerate for a bit to stop the cooking process.
3. Re-heat oil to 370F (again, we winged it) and cook potatoes until golden and crispy, 3 to 4 min. Remove from pan, blot dry and toss with salt.
Verdict: Even though we didn’t really follow the recipe, these actually tasted a whole lot like the fries we get from McDonalds.