I found this recipe on the Food Network Website.
- 3/4 cup whole hazelnuts
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (we didn’t use because we use semi-salted butter)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 12 min. Cool. Rub skin off with a cloth towel and chop.
3. Melt chocolate in microwave. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and instant coffee. Stir in melted chocolate.
5. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt (if using). Add to butter mixture. Stir in chopped hazelnuts.
6. Drop spoonfuls on baking sheet and bake 12 – 15 min (we made ours pretty large and they only needed 12).
Verdict: These had a nice taste to them. The coffee, chocolate and toasted hazelnut flavours worked really well together, though we wish they would have been a little moister. We made about 3 dozen pretty big cookies.