I got this recipe from a leaflet for Black Diamond cheese that I found in my grocery store.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast (fast acting)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (we didn’t use)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup egg whites, beaten (we used 1 egg)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (we used garlic powder)
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together flour, yeast and salt (if using) in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix together water, milk, oil and corn syrup. Slowly add to dry ingredients. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 3 min or until uniformly elastic.
4. Separate dough into 2 equal parts. Roll out and fit one piece to the size of the baking sheet (we didn’t quite get it big enough). Sprinkle 3 cups of cheese on top, leaving a border. Roll out other dough and fit over top. Pinch closed. Cut into 20 equal stripes (or kind of stripe like pieces) but do not pull apart. Cover with cloth and let rise 20 min.
5. Beat egg, oregano and garlic together and egg wash top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 15 to 17 min.
Verdict: These were very good. They tasted like the cheesy bread you would get from restaurants, only better.