I am pretty sure I found this recipe online somewhere, though I am not sure where.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced (we used about 1/4 of an onion)
- Salt to taste
- A 796ml can of diced tomatoes
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons 35% cream
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Parmesan cheese
1. Pour olive oil into skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Don’t let the garlic burn. Add onions along with salt to taste. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, to caramelize. Add can of tomatoes and let simmer around 10 min until sauce has thickened. When sauce has thickened, remove from heat and add in the 35% cream.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on the package.
3. Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour vodka over pasta. Add butter and stir until butter has melted. Add the sauce. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Verdict: Looking back on this recipe I probably would have added more 35% cream, so the sauce was maybe a little closer to a rosé sauce. I probably would have also added the vodka to the sauce instead of pouring it over the pasta. I thought there was too much of a vodka taste to the dish, overpowering the sauce instead of enhancing it.