I found this recipe on Pillsbury.
1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion chopped, about 1/4 cup worth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 medium white potatoes, thinly sliced, about 6 cups worth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a skillet, cook beef, stirring frequently until beef is completely cooked. Drain.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Stir in flour. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
4. Stir milk into onion mixture. Return to heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, do not stop stirring. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of cheese, stirring until melted.
5. Spread half the potato mixture in the baking dish. Top with beef and then remaining potatoes. Cover with cheese sauce.
6. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle paprika and remaining cup of cheese on top and bake, uncovered 15 – 20 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes.
Verdict: Our cheese never seems to get as brown as the pictures do. Besides that, this dish was very tasty. It had cheese and potatoes, which I love, so I was happy with how it turned out.