This is a Pillsbury recipe.
- 1 lb. ground beef (it said to use raw beef but we cooked our first)
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 lb. 8 oz. of Garlic Mashed potatoes (it said to use a frozen package but we made our own)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- (We didn’t use any of the toppings: 1/4 cup chopped tomato, 2 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled 2 medium green onions, chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix together beef, onion, bread crumbs, sage, salt and egg until well combined. Press into bottom of an ungreased oven dish and cover with mashed potatoes and cheese.
3. Bake uncovered 50 min. Sprinkle with toppings as desired.
Verdict: I didn’t enjoy this dish at all. I thought it was too bland and could have used something more added into the beef. It felt like a Shepherd’s Pie but without the vegetables we normally put into our Shepherd’s Pie. Though it could be because we changed the recipe a lot from the original. Maybe it we had mixed the beef like a hamburger and baked it first to ensure it was cooked and then topped it with the potatoes and cheese it may have had a different taste. I also regret not using the tomato and bacon topping.