I found this recipe online somewhere (maybe here?).
Shortbread and filling:
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (didn’t use because we use salted butter)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 quarts caramel ice cream (we didn’t use as much, I don’t think. Just one container)
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
1. Shortbreads: Butter 2 8-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
2. Sift together flour, salt (if using) and cocoa powder and set aside.
3. Beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and continue beating until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add in flour mixture and beat until just blended.
4. Divide dough evenly between prepared pans. With dampened fingertips, press dough evenly into pans. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350F.
6. Bake shortbreads until center is firm to the touch, 25-30 min. Let cool for 30 min.
7. Run a spatula or knife around the edge of each pan. Invert onto a baking sheet and tap bottom until shortbreads pop out. Remove the parchment paper. Let cool completely.
8. Place the shortbreads in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Let ice cream stand at room temperature until soft enough to spread, about 5 min.
9. Place one shortbread on a serving place, top side up. Top with half the ice cream. Place in freezer. Place the other shortbread, bottom side up on a clean working surface and top with remaining ice cream. Set the shortbread, ice cream side up, on top of the other shortbread. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the coldest part of the freezer for at least 2 days.
10: Ganache: Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the cream and salt to a boil. Immediately pour over chocolate. Using whisk, stir the chocolate until melted and the mixture is smooth. Let cool to room temperature. Spread the chocolate over top of ice cream cake. Freeze until ganache is set, about 10 minutes.
Verdict: I found this cake to be quite tasty, although I think that was because of the caramel ice cream. Ours melted quite a bit during the preparation of the cake, so we still have some work to do to master the art of ice cream cake making. I don’t think the shortbreads really held up to freezing as they didn’t really taste like shortbreads while you were eating the cake. I also thought that the amount of ganache the recipe asked us to make was too much as we ended up with a thicker layer that I think you are supposed to have on cakes like these.