I can’t remember where I found this recipe.
- 12 trimmed broccoli florets (each one should fit into a muffin cup with room to spare)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (we didn’t use)
- 1/4 cup strong cheddar cheese, grated (we used closer to 1/2 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch the broccoli florets for 3 min. Rinse well in cold water. Dry the florets and set aside.
2. Beat the butter. Add the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix together the flour, baking powder, turmeric, cayenne and salt (if using). Add to the wet ingredients. Fold in the cheese.
3. Place one heaping tablespoonful of the batter into the bottom of each muffin cup. Place a single floret in each muffin cup. Top with remaining batter.
4. Bake 30 min.
Verdict: I haven’t really eaten much cayenne in the past because I can’t really eat spicy foods (even something that is at the completely lowest possible degree of spicy is too much for me sometimes). Turmeric is another ingredient I haven’t used in the past, so I wasn’t sure if I would like it. After this dish, I think I will continue avoiding these ingredients in the future. I found them both overpowering. I couldn’t taste the cheese or the broccoli. After a recent recipe I was a little worried that the sugar would make the dish too sweet, but that didn’t happen.