I found this recipe in the French language Metro newspaper.
- 1 large container of cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup oil
- Icing sugar (we didn’t use)
1. Beat the cream cheese with the 6 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside.
2. Mix together the flour, the 1 cup sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients.
4. Put two spoonfuls of chocolate mixture in each muffin cup (we made 24 regular sized muffins). Place a small spoonful of cream cheese in each one and cover with the rest of the chocolate mixture.
5. Bake at 350F for 20 min.
6. Sprinkle with icing sugar when ready to serve (we didn’t).
Verdict: I am trying to use cream cheese a little more often in baked goods to try and get used to it. I figure if it’s surrounded by ingredients that I like and baked maybe I won’t taste it as much. I think it worked well in this recipe, as I wasn’t overwhelmed with the flavour. The muffins themselves didn’t have as rich a chocolate flavour as I would have liked.