I found this recipe in the French language Metro newspaper.
- 4 potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup mini carrots
- 1/2 turnip cut into spears
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (we used mozzarella)
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- Pepper to taste
- 1 398ml can of creamed corn
- 1 398 ml can of corn kernels
1. Boil the potatoes, carrots and turnips. Drain and mash with half the cheese.
2. Brown the beef with a bit of butter. Add the beef broth and mix well.
3. Spread the beef on the bottom of an oven dish. Spread the creamed corn and the corn kernels. Cover with the potato mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
4. Bake at 350F for 20 min or until cheese melts.
Verdict: This wasn’t a horrible recipe, but it’s not my favourite Shepherd’s Pie recipe. I was mainly trying this recipe to try turnips for what may be the first time. When it comes to trying new ingredients to cook with, I always like to have them surrounded by ingredients I know I like, so that if I don’t like the new ingredient there are still things that I can eat in the dish. I don’t know if it was the recipe or me, but I couldn’t taste the turnip in this dish.