I found this recipe in the French language Metro newspaper that they hand out free here.
- 2/3 lbs ground beef
- 1 796ml can of tomato juice
- 1 284ml can of tomato soup
- 2 cups instant rice
- Chopped onion to taste
- Chopped pepper to taste (we didn’t use any)
- Chopped mushrooms to taste (we didn’t use any)
- Salt, onion powder and garlic powder to taste
- Grated mozzarella to taste
1. Cook the ground beef with any vegetables you are using.
2. In a pot, bring the tomato juice to boil. Add the rice and set aside to let rice absorb the juice.
3. Mix together the rice, beef and tomato soup and place in an oven dish.
4. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350F for 15 min.
Verdict: This is a type of recipe I don’t normally like, with its vague “to taste” measurements all over the place. We used maybe a half of a small onion and grated enough cheese to just cover the top of the dish. Because I dislike the taste of peppers and my sister dislikes the texture of mushrooms, I thought the dish could use more vegetables. I might look into adding something different, like carrots maybe, next time I make this, because the base of this dish was delicious.