I am not sure where I originally found this recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour (we used all purpose flour without adding any baking powder as well, which we should have done)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (omitted because we use salted butter)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 60g semi-sweet chocolate cut into half inch pieces (we used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt (if using) together. Fold the dry ingredients into the butter, alternating with the milk.
- (The recipe says to half fill 12 muffin moulds with batter, place a few chocolate pieces on top then cover with rest of batter. Instead we mixed the chocolate chips in the batter and made 6 large muffins).
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes (the large ones took closer to 30 minutes).
Verdict: Because we did not add the baking powder, these muffins did not rise at all. Despite being kind of flat looking, they had a nice chocolate taste to them.