I found this recipe in the Cooking Light Magazine, September 2011.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups diced and peeled eggplant
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 14.5 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups brown rice (we used white rice)
- 2 lbs. grilled chicken, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and eggplant. Cook 10 minutes, until eggplant is soft. Add basil, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth and rice. Bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper. Add chicken.
- Ladle mixture into a 13×9 inch pan.
- Cover and bake 60 min. Remove cover, stir in Parmesan and bake another 5 minutes.
Verdict: This was a nice, tasty rice dish. Eggplant is one of those vegetables that I sometimes like and sometimes don’t, depending on the dish. I thought they worked well in this dish. I wish we had maybe added more cheese, as I didn’t always taste the Parmesan in the dish.