Posts Tagged slow cooker
I found this recipe in the French language Metro newspaper.
- 2 lbs. beef cubes
- 2 sliced onions (we did not use this much, maybe half an onion)
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 green pepper, sliced (we used baby potatoes instead)
- 1 box of mushrooms (my sister isn’t the biggest fan of mushrooms, so we only used half the box)
- 3 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato soup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Brown the beef in some oil and butter. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker or large oven pot (we cooked ours in the oven).
- Chop all the vegetables and add to the slow cooker or pot. Add the diced tomatoes and the tomato soup.
- Mix together the brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Pour over the stew.
- Cook in slow cooker for 6 to 7 hours on low or in oven at 350F for 3 hours.
Verdict: This was a delicious stew. It was perfect for the really cold night we had here. As I do not really like gravy, I love finding tomato based beef stews. Definitely a recipe to keep!
I found this recipe in the French Metro newspaper.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 900g beef cubes
- 1 bay leaf (didn’t use)
- 1 garlic bulb
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 piece of celery, sliced (we used a carrot instead)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (we did not use this much, only a quarter of a large onion)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
1. In a bowl, mix together flour, paprika and pepper.
2. Roll the beef in the flour mixture to cover.
3. Place them, along with all other ingredients, in a slow cooker.
4. Cook on high for 4-6 hours (ours was ready in 5).
Verdict: One whole garlic bulb was probably a little much as the stew had a really strong garlic taste. I was disappointed not to really taste the soy sauce. Overall, I liked it but have had better beef stews.
I am pretty sure I found this recipe in the French Metro newspaper. It also marks my first time trying out my slow cooker!
- 700g beef cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, thinly slices (we didn’t use all of a large onion, because ours was rather large. We probably used closer to a small onion)
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 or 5 medium potatoes (we used 4), diced
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon basil
1. Place the meat at the bottom of the slow cooker (it can’t be frozen).
2. Add the vegetables, in layers. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add in tomato soup, tomato juice and basil.
4. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. (We cooked ours 7 and the bigger potato pieces were still a little hard.)
Verdict: I liked this. It was like a beef stew, but with a tomato base instead of a gravy base. Next time I might add more carrots and make sure the potatoes are all cut small, so they can all cook properly.